EasyEDA template

Michael

EasyEDA template

Post by Michael »

When one tries to File | Open KiCad in EasyEDA one gets this hint:

Can you export from KiCad as a ZIP and commit to the repo?
Editor

Re: EasyEDA template

Post by Editor »

Michael wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:42 pm When one tries to File | Open KiCad in EasyEDA one gets this hint:
Hmm... I'm not having much luck.

I have EasyEDA, as I used it for a number of projects before I finally made the change to KiCAD a couple of years ago (after waiting for KiCAD to mature enough).
I've never regretted the decision, as KiCAD is much more capable!

I first tried the KiCAD Archive (as suggested), to save the project as a .zip
But unfortunately EasyEDA just reported an error on import, which the EasyEDA website tells me is because: "KiCAD has updated the document format since KiCad v5.1.3, if the import fails, please try a previous version. A fix for this is being developed."

So, it does happen that my KiCAD project folder has some older version files, from prior to an earlier upgrade (I'm currently using KiCAD v8).
So, I manually zipped up these files (although I don't know what changes I might have made since), and tried the EasyEDA import again.

This time the import succeeded. BUT, not really usable! All I got was a partial PCB, with a partial board outline, and the top & bottom copper traces only (no pads or anything else). Not of great help.

I think I'd probably need to start fresh, if making an EasyEDA MECB project. :(

Have you considered giving KiCAD a go? In the longer term you really won't regret it! :geek:
Michael

Post by Michael »

I guess I'll be taking another look at KiCAD ... ;-)
Editor

Post by Editor »

Michael wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:30 am I guess I'll be taking another look at KiCAD ... ;-)
I do really mean it (from my personal experience), that you won't regret moving to KiCAD (as a longer term decision).

I've migrated most of my EasyEDA projects to KiCAD.

On the EasyEDA import of KiCAD template, note that as I had a newer version of KiCAD (than EasyEDA supported).
So, to try the EasyEDA import with some older KiCAD version files I still had, I simply zipped up the files manually.
But, as I noted above, the import was far from complete (resuting in my "better to start from scratch" thought).
I'm, of course, happy to email you the files, if you want to experiment yourself in EasyEDA.
bugeyedcreepy

Post by bugeyedcreepy »

Michael wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:30 am I guess I'll be taking another look at KiCAD ... ;-)
KiCAD is pretty awesome these days, I can get excellent submissions for JLCPCB, PCBWay, etc without any problems at their end.