[v1.0] MECB Prototype PLD Card

Editor

[v1.0] MECB Prototype PLD Card

Post by Editor »

It was timely to update the first MECB Card that I made, which was the original Prototype Card.

I had originally intended to also create a Prototype Card with a PLD present, for prototyping with the glue logic already taken care of, mirroring the original KiCAD MECB template.

So, better late than never! I also roll-in improvements based on feedback and a Forum member's (lenzjo), excellent work. These improvements are also rolled back into the original MECB Prototype Card.

Join me as I present the new and updated Prototype Cards, and test the new Prototype PLD Card, here: Minimalist Europe Card Bus (MECB) - Improved Prototype Cards
bugeyedcreepy

Re: [v1.0] MECB Prototype PLD Card

Post by bugeyedcreepy »

Oooh, Legend.

I imagine the original is still offered? Not that I'd know what it could be used for other than as you've shown here, but maybe something like a POST card that could be used to show system usage & activity, or an array of LED breakouts or panel illumination for something like a PDP/11 or early game box recreation? I suppose you're gonna tell me they'd still require a PLC?? :D

Imma go buy one or two of these now...!

:P
Editor

Post by Editor »

bugeyedcreepy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:14 am I imagine the original is still offered? Not that I'd know what it could be used for other than as you've shown here, but maybe something like a POST card that could be used to show system usage & activity, or an array of LED breakouts or panel illumination for something like a PDP/11 or early game box recreation?
Somehow I missed your post above. Notifications don't seem to always work. :thinking:

The original Prototype card was updated (a little), to reflect the dual power rails and 3-grid hole grouping of the new Prototype PLD Card.
But the basic Prototype Card is still a full grid of prototyping area. You could use it to make anything really.

Your idea of an array of LED breakouts, does make me think of sticking maybe four of my 8-bit LED Things on a Prototype Card, to monitor the Address, Data, and Control bus signals. Lots of flashing lights! 8-)
bugeyedcreepy

Post by bugeyedcreepy »

Editor wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:44 am Your idea of an array of LED breakouts, does make me think of sticking maybe four of my 8-bit LED Things on a Prototype Card, to monitor the Address, Data, and Control bus signals. Lots of flashing lights! 8-)
:D LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking of!
epaell

Post by epaell »

Perhaps also with a warning label:

Code: Select all

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENSPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN!
ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND
POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN. IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN.
DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bugeyedcreepy

Post by bugeyedcreepy »

epaell wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:16 pm Perhaps also with a warning label:

Code: Select all

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENSPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN!
ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND
POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN. IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN.
DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
.....BAAAAAAHAHAHAHahahaha!!! xD xD xD That took me a bit!
epaell

Post by epaell »

Yay, got my MECB Prototype PLD Card working and also tested four working 8-bit LED things :-)

https://youtu.be/uRx8zmk30wU

Kudos to Greg for supplying the "cheat sheets" for the MECB bus and the 8-bit LED thing - they are incredibly helpful! I used them to create my own cheat sheet for the "birds nest" wiring of the PIA to check the board :-)
Editor

Post by Editor »

epaell wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:19 am Kudos to Greg for supplying the "cheat sheets" for the MECB bus and the 8-bit LED thing - they are incredibly helpful! I used them to create my own cheat sheet for the "birds nest" wiring of the PIA to check the board :-)
Nice! Thanks for posting a video of it all in action.

I'm glad the "cheat sheets" were helpful. You'll be amused to know that the MECB ones took me 3 attempts.
For the first attempt, I managed to get the A & C columns reversed, which went unnoticed while I created a full A4 sheet of them, printed, laminated, and cut-up (then nothing worked when I then connected to the Prototype headers). :?
The second attempt was correct, but after again creating a full A4 sheet of them, printing, laminating, and cutting them up, I decided the font was really too small to read! :roll:
And... finally, on the third attempt (which you have), I was happy at last! :ugeek:
epaell

Post by epaell »

You'll be amused to know that the MECB ones took me 3 attempts.
Oh no! I'm glad you got there in the end though ... despite the rather arduous journey on the way!