Hello World

dhennessy

Hello World

Post by dhennessy »

I can't remember exactly how I stumbled on the MECB designs - I think I followed the link for the versaterm build and then followed my nose.

My early introduction to computers was home-built systems (first an 8085 system and later a 68000). Although I did an electronics degree, most of my work has been in software, which gets further and further away from the raw processors.

A couple of years ago, I get re-interested in retro computers. Here are a few of my projects:
IMG_6294.jpeg
Z180 board on RC2014 bus
IMG_6293.jpeg
68008 board
IMG_6295.jpeg
PDP11/70 panel connected to Raspi emulator

I've ordered, and am going to build, the 6809 board to get a feeling for how things work. If that goes well, I'm hoping to design a Z180 board with CP/M support - the great thing about a lot of CP/M software is that it's designed to work well with a serial terminal.

Best,
Denis

ps I'm in Ireland
Editor

Re: Hello World

Post by Editor »

Welcome Denis.

I hope you have fun putting together your initial 6809 system. It would be great to see a Z180 CPU Card added to the system. I didn't experience CP/M, but I've certainly read a lot about it. I was firmly in the Motorola camp in those days, so for me it was mostly FLEX, Flex09, and then later some OS-9 during those early years.

Your 68008 board looks interesting too. I've just started playing around with an MC68008 CPU, and have the beginings of a design mapped out in my head. I made an initial discussion post here: MECB 68008 CPU Card

Have fun!
bugeyedcreepy

Re: Hello World

Post by bugeyedcreepy »

dhennessy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:19 pm Image
PDP11/70 panel connected to Raspi emulator
Actually, I've had thoughts of scrounging through my second-hand bins for switches (and I have already counted enough to pull this off) and use that as part of my MECB programming front-ends similar to this PDP style setup you have here, either using those 1970's and 80's Yamaha Organ switches, or the many, many power switches I've pulled out of printers and photocopiers everywhere I've found them...
dhennessy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:19 pm I've ordered, and am going to build, the 6809 board to get a feeling for how things work. If that goes well, I'm hoping to design a Z180 board with CP/M support - the great thing about a lot of CP/M software is that it's designed to work well with a serial terminal.
Ooh, now that would be interesting...